As I’ve mentioned before, so often couples say, “Oh, we really don’t need to do engagement photos. We’re not comfortable in front of the camera and we really don’t need so many photos of ourselves.” To which I’ve replied with this. And once I share the heart behind why I include complimentary engagement sessions with my wedding bookings and explain that we’ll make the session all about their relationship and not just Pinterest-world images, they usually agree and we plan an engagement session. I can’t tell you how many times, in the middle of an engagement session, couples are laughing as they tell me how much fun they’re having. My heart is so happy when I get emails thanking me for pushing them to do an engagement session and telling me how much more excited they are for their wedding after their engagement photos!
When I encourage couples to plan a meaningful engagement session I’m often met with blank stares or remarks like, “Yeah, well, we’re pretty boring.” This response is so untrue and I love helping couples see that even what they think is mundane, boring, or ordinary, is actually special and unique to their own love story. I want to document your story. The story about the time you’re living right now. What life is like during this exciting stage of life when you’re engaged and anxiously awaiting your forever together. Enter with that mindset and it won’t just be, “Too many photos of us to hang on the wall.” So, in order to help you think outside the Pinterest box, here are some questions to get you and your love thinking about your engagement session in a new way!
- Where did you meet?
- Where was your first date?
- What’s your favorite restaurant?
- What do you like to cook/bake together?
- What time of day do you most enjoy together? (Making breakfast in the morning? Lazy Sunday afternoons on the couch? Sunset walks in your neighborhood?)
- Do you share an apartment/house together? You may not always live there so it may be fun to document that place (even if you think it’s “nothing special”…think about what it’ll be like to be able to look back on it 20 years from now)
- Do you have a favorite bar or cafe that you go to often?
- Do you like adventures together (hiking, kayaking, biking, sailing)?
- Do you enjoy quiet activities at home (playing/listening to music, board/card games, reading)?
- Is cocktail hour a favorite time?
- Do you have a pet that you both love?
- Where did your proposal take place?
- Is there a special place you travel to often?
These are just some of the ideas to get you thinking about what’s possible for your engagement session! I want you to bring me your real selves! Plan an activity or date that you’d normally enjoy and just invite me along! I promise you that photos of you both enjoying each other’s company at your favorite local cafe will mean more to you years down the road than some random park your photographer recommends because, “It’s pretty.” Your life, your story, your time together is what’s truly beautiful! Let’s document that!
If you’re engaged and this sounds like fun, let’s connect! 2018 is already booking up!